How old to bartend in NYC?
The minimum age is 18.
Do I need a ‘Bartenders License’ or/and 'High School Diploma'?
No you do not. But you DO need to know how to bartend!
Bartending has always been best part-time job to make some extra cash. However, for many it has also become a lucrative career. Bartending is not the same as it was a decade ago. Owners and managers do not have the time to train people with zero knowledge of bartending.
A bartending school is the best and fastest way to land a bartending position. However, the problem is in finding the right bartending school…a reputable, licensed bartending school that teaches all aspects of industry-level training…that’s the real challenge!
Is this certificate good in any state?
YES. The New York Bartending School also carries a lot of clout international and world-wide!
Do Bartending Schools use Real Alcohol?
Imagine throwing away over 5,000 drinks that you prepared during the entirety of the course. That’s a lot of booze right? Also a lot of money! So, yes, all bartending schools use colored water. However, at the New York Bartending School we use both colored water (necessary for the repetition learning process) and real alcohol in our advanced seminars on spirits, liqueurs, wine, beer and classic & signature drinks. The fact is we ARE the only bartending school with a real bar!
What do I look for when choosing a bartending school?
The modern bartending school is focused on providing a working education in the art, knowledge and skills of bartending and mixology. However, bartending schools are far from equal – so before you register to any bartending training institution, thoroughly research your options.
- Visit the facilities and sit in on a class in progress. Take a free bartending class, if offered.
- Compare the facilities and curriculum of several bartending schools.
- You should be learning BEHIND a bar, not at a desk.
- There should never be more than two students per cocktail station. Count the number of soda guns to establish the number of cocktail stations; double that number and that’s the maximum number of students that should be in the class.
- The modern day bartending school should include mixology and wine classes.
- Colored water is necessary for the repetition learning process in memorizing drinks, but a modern bartending school should include real alcohol in their mixology program.
- The bartending school should provide a job placement assistance program that includes (a)-an on-line job site, (b)-resume assistance, (c)-a job placement seminar, (d)-affiliation with a real bars to guest bartend – to achieve the behind the bar confidence upon graduation.